The Music Goes On.. (A Tribute to Engr. Marvin J. Cruz)

Our Beloved

Engr. Marvin J. Cruz

November 12, 1981 – June 3, 2008
peacefully joined our Creator

His remains lie in state at Cruz’s Residence Brgy. Cutcut, Guiguinto, Bulacan
Interment will be on Sunday, June 8, 2008 at 2:00 o’clock in the afternoon.


Death Only Reminds us of Life...

Monday midnight, June 2 – he was rushed to the nearby hospital in Guiguinto, but unfortunately declared dead on arrival (June 3). His death was because of medically diagnosed disease called “Acute Pancreatitis” —a disease occurs when the pancreas suddenly becomes inflamed. It occurs more often in men than women. According to a research, it may cause dehydration and low blood pressure. During acute attacks, the blood contains at least three times more amylase and lipase than usual. Amylase and lipase are digestive enzymes formed in the pancreas. The heart, lungs, or kidneys may fail. If bleeding occurs in the pancreas, shock and sometimes even death follow.


Some odd books I have read often start with the ending of the story. But that taught me something: Ending is also a beginning, for with the absence of ending, it is totally chaotic thinking how to start a new chronicle. Death is sometimes impatient and unfair, a bad kismet for some…but death moreover pertains to another journey and adventure. According to Robert Fulghum, “No death; no life.” It’s just that: We all take our own time to heal.

A Chain of Serene Prayers...
(As BulSU-CICT Family Bestow Honor for Sir Marvin)

“Luksang Parangal”- June 5, at 2:00 in the afternoon his BulSU family offered a meaningful moment of prayer and honor for Sir Marvin at Cruz’s Residence, Cutcut, Guiguinto. This was lead by Engr. Jason J. Villafuerte joined by the CICT dean, Prof. Fausto S. Hilario, the Director of Cultural Affairs and Historical Development Dr. Herminio Suarez, the BulSU Saring Himig, faculty and students.

During the third part, words from selected individuals were delivered:

Marvin as a Colleague...

"Hindi ko mapaniwalaan na ang napakabait at napakabuti nating kaibigan na si Marvin ay kukunin ng ganito kaaga. Nag-enrol na siya sa PUP para sa Masteral Degree at ang sabi nga niya, excited na siyang mag-aral…Marvin, napakabait mong tao, wala kang idinadaing na problema…
Nawalan man kami ng isang kapamilya, babaunin namin sa aming puso at isipan ang iyong kabutihan, katapatan, at magiging inspirasyon ka namin at ng mga estudyante mo. Paalam kaibigan at maraming-maraming salamat sa mga ala-alang ibinigay mo sa amin.”
--Dean Fausto S. Hilario
Marvin as a Friend…

Before Ma’am Noemi delivered his farewell speech for Sir Marvin, she read a poem which I believe is worth to share:


Morning comes and off it goes,
Like people come and they go.
Some came and gone
Just passing my way.
But few are meant to stay.
The hard lessons of letting go
And holding on
Are left here with me.
You’re like a needle that pricked my heart
My heart, my friend, you rift.
Come closer, see the wound in my chest
My heart, my friend bleeds.
Blood filled my pen like ink
My journals, my friend, are stained.
Days tinged with pain since you left
The void, my friend, still hurts.
Comeback someday and heal this broken heart
Come home, my friend, I’ll wait.



“Kulang sa sampung taon na kaming magkaibigan…Through thick and thin, nandiyan siya, kahit hindi siya magsalita alam mong nandiyan siya sa tabi mo at hindi ka niya iiwan. Marvin, mami-miss ka namin, mahal na mahal ka namin.”
--Engr. Noemi Pascual


Ma’am Noemi is the first person I interviewed for this article, and as we talked about what really happened to “Biya” (Sir Marvin’s nickname in their barkada) I can feel her sorrow and regrets of losing a colleague, a friend and a brother.

She even said with her eyes close to tears “Ang daya-daya niya. Nag-promise kasi kami na hanggang pagtanda, magkakasama parin kaming magkakaibigan, walang iwanan. Pero sabi nga namin, may natutunan kaming lesson kay Marvin: I-enjoy mo lang ang buhay, gawin mo ang mga bagay na dapat mong gawin at yung bagay na makakapagpasaya sa iyo. Dahil maikli lang ang buhay, hindi mo alam kung kelan ka mawawala. ”

I have down pat with a quote from Jean de La Fontaine “Death never takes the wise man by surprise; He is always ready to go.” Then, I saw Sir Marvin’s shoutbox message on his friedster account output on my monitor. "I need a genie to grant me wishes!" Well, I am not certain if he truly met a genie, but somehow I am confident to believe that whatever his wishes are, Heaven made him fulfilled it and granting more than that above, with our Creator.

Marvin as a Son...

“Kung ikukumpara sa isang part of speech, masasabi kong lahat ng magagandang adjective nasa anak ko na: mapagmahal, masunurin, mabait na anak. Nagpapasalamat po ako sa Panginoon dahil nagkaroon ako ng anak na kagaya niya…Natatandaan ko noong bata pa siya, ang sabi niya sa’kin “Nay, gusto ko maging pari” Sabi ko naman ‘oo anak maganda iyan’. Tapos nagtanong siya, “Nanay nag-aasawa po ba ang pari?” ‘Ay anak, hindi..’ “Eh hindi nalang ako magpapari.” Pero hindi po siya tumigil sa paglilingkod, gustong-gusto niya kumanta sa simbahan, nagbuo siya ng choir sa amin…”

It brings me back to the memory when I once asked Sir Marvin “Bakit po hindi kayo nag-pari?” Because honestly, I can see all the qualities in him. Then he replied with a smile, “Marami nga ring nagsasabi sakin niyan eh. Kaso wala pa ‘yung calling, saka gusto ko muna i-explore ang buhay ko saka yung paligid ko. Actually, may malapit nga na seminaryo sa amin eh.” Then I realized that on our way to their home, I saw a big gate with printed letters and pictures on a tarpaulin “Immaculate Conception Seminary”. It might be the seminary he was saying to me.

After the closing prayer, I had a chance to talk to Nanay Pacing (Sir Marvin’s mother). Her eyes cannot veil the lament of losing her son particularly just a year after Sir Marvin’s twin-brother Melvin passed away. Ma’am Noemi shared to me that Nanay Pacing told her “Si Marvin ang anak ko na sa tingin ko makakasama ko habang-buhay.” She showed us some childhood pictures of “Taba” (Sir Marvin’s nickname at home) and I spot the logic of its origin. As I watched her pointing his pictures, I see the eyes of a proud mother but it slowly turned into nostalgia as she whisper while wiping tear from her eyes “Mami-miss kita anak..” I really fought hard to hold back my tears, and suddenly unable to say or even remember any comforting words, the least thing that I can do is to hold her hand.


My Personal Thoughts...

Sir Marvin passed away… I read the message in my inbox almost 10 times, my eyes were locked at it while my neurons tried to find definite signal for definite emotion but all it finds and sent back is something that leave me blank, numb and unable to give any idea about what I feel.

Flashback--M.CRUZ (the room schedule revealed the name of teacher that will occupy the room for that specific time). We paused for a while in facade of the closed wooden door. My classmates and I have some exchanged of glances. “Si Ma’am Minneli pala ang teacher natin sa DSA!”, I remember one of my classmates uttered those words. As the door opened we managed ourselves entering the Room ICE 2 but---

Ma’am Minneli stood there with a slashed of confusing eyes. “Teka, hindi ako ang teacher niyo. Si Sir Marvin Cruz. Intayin niyo nalang muna siya sa labas.” And we reciprocated her with a puzzling look too.

We waited for him for some more lengthy minutes until we have decided to confirmed the faculty if he will be meeting our class for the subject. That was my first encounter with him;

“Excuse po, kayo po ba si Sir Marvin? Kami po yung klase niyo ngayon.Imi-meet niyo pa po ba kami?”.With a slight portrayal I approached him with a tinged of annoyance waiting for him that long (one and a half hour remained for our supposedly three hours period) on our first day of Data Structure and Algorithm class with him.

“Ah, naku pasensiya na ha, galing kasi ako dun kanina eh. Akala ko wala kayo, sandali lang ha. Pasensiya na talaga.” He smiled at me despite of my disrespectful manner. (And I remember that we saw him in front of the room but ignored him, because we are not aware that he is actually M. CRUZ) I found myself losing any kind of response and all I discerned is that my conscience is shouting at me just behind my back. It may sound absurd, but personally speaking his smile and calm way of talking has the power to tame one’s vexation that every time he flashes those smiles it makes me state this phrase “parang gusto ko magdasal.”

When he failed to attend as one of our invited guests in our final presentation, he searched for me and gave the questions he prepared and showed me the right way of answering those and shared some tips on how to gain confidence and told me “Kaya niyo ‘yan. magagaling kayo.”

Last December 2006, he told me that he was invited to sing on CICT Band Concert. That night we are all waiting for his number, I was surprised receiving a SMS from him. He personally apologized because he won’t be able to perform due to some unexpected reasons and told me that he will find the perfect timing some other time. He is truly a man of honor, a mentor I will respect and always admire for his kind personality. Though he is physically gone, his memories and words of advice will always be a guide and an inspiration.

Messages from his Former Students and Friends…

“Java namin siya. Sa sobrang bait niya eh hindi namin magawang dayain siya ng mga kabarkada ko, like magkopyahan o ano pa. Pagkakataon na pero mahihiya ka talaga na gawin iyon sa kanya.”

--Ronald Dionisio
“Kaya niyang dalhin ang sarili niya in a way na mapapatingin ka and masasabi mo that you want to find more about him.Napaka-considerate niya…”

--Mary Grace Reyes

“Mahilig si Sir Marvin sa gadgets, laptop, cp, ipod..Very supportive. Ang hirap tanggapin na wala na siya.”

--Sir Edwin Garcia

" friendship ang tawagan namin, hindi siya plastic, hindi namimili ng kaibigan..he listens to my problems and give me advices. Kinakantahan niya ako, napakaganda ng boses niya. Nagulat talaga ako sa balitang wala na siya, at hanggang ngayon nalulungkot ako. Wala na akong friendship..Sayang, dapat yung masasamang tao na lang ang nawala at hindi siya.”

--Ma'am Diana Bautista
“Sir Marvin…Kapag nagkikita kami greet niya ko Ma’am Jane!!! (excited na tono ng boses) naka-smile na bihira ko lang makita pati mata nagsha-shine. Palagi tahimik sa faculty, busy sa pagdownload ng music..Kapag hihingi ka ng help, kahit mabagal tumutulong siya.”

--Ma'am Jane Suarez

“Sobrang mahal at pinahahalagahan niya ang kanyang family and friends. Tahimik siya, may pagkamahiyain pero mapagbiro rin at madaldal, di lang halata. Hindi siya marunong lumangoy, kapag nagsu-swimming nasa isang tabi lang siya nagvo-vocalize. Gustong-gusto niya kapag kumakain sa dahon ng saging at salo-salo doon lahat kumakain..Matulungin, masipag at mahilig magbasa. Kapag tinext mo siya ng 9am, naku for how many years pa bago siya magreply…Mami-miss ko siya, mami-miss namin siya, lahat-lahat sa kanya, yung ngiti niya, kwentuhan, kakalugan, ang magandang boses niya, mga advices, pangungulit—lahat!..”

--his dear friend in Singles for Christ

I can still figure out the way he sung these lines, the last time he performed for the CICT Band Concert:

“You are the dream that never dies…
You are the sunshine in the sky
You are the sparkle in my eyes…”
--Dan Hill - Never Thought (That I Could Love)

For a son, a brother, a friend, a colleague, and a mentor… Sir Marvin, you will always be in our thoughts and prayers. May you find the eternal happiness and life with our Creator. You may be gone---but your sweet voice will sustain, your smile will be our tone for moving on, your advices will be our melody, your kind acts will accompany our tunes, your shared knowledge will be our chords for the future and your memories will never ever be forgotten as lyrics of our life’s common song. You will be our note and YOUR MUSIC GOES ON…

0 comments: