Hero in Me

Superman? Spider man? Batman? They are nothing compared to the man I’ve always knew. Maybe, he can’t leap across tall buildings nor run faster than a speeding bullet but I can tell you how extra-ordinary he is. How tremendous his ways are to raise us, an imperfect one but always willing to satisfy his imperfections. Do you know who is he? He is no other than my father!

Being a daddy’s girl is bliss enough for me. Having my dad completes my life and without him my life will never be the same.

When I was in grade 6, my father bought me an aquarium as a birthday present. I was so happy because that was my dream during my childhood days. I ran as fast as I could just to reach for the aquarium and as I watched the fishes swam, my father told me that:

“You know this aquarium is too expensive but I bought it for you because I love you and I want you to give everything I could give.”

As a child my heart melted. I was so touched for my father’s love. Because of what he said, I felt that I was not all alone, that I have someone to depend on.

One morning when I was in high school, our family had a problem: a financial one. I thought I could not make it to go to school that day. I was so mad at my father because I haven’t understood our situation that time. I cried because of self-pity. My father saw me crying. He left our house for two hours and when he came back, he looked so tired. He told me to prepare my things to go to school while giving me my allowance.

“Where did you get this money?” I asked.
“I will do all I can to give you education. Even if takes so much. Even if takes my life.” He answered while smiling.

I was so disappointed with myself. I was so selfish for being mad at my father because of that simple thing. On that moment, my father taught me that “action speaks louder than voice but an action with voice is better.”

On my graduation day in high school, he told me that he is the happiest father ever. That he was so proud of me and he will continue supporting me through the success and failures that will come my way after me that graduation day. I am so lucky to have him in my life. I was so blessed.

When I entered college, my life became different. Unlike when I was in high school and elementary, my studies gave me so much pressure. Not only in my studies but also with the people I want to be with.

One morning, my father asked me why I looked so sad.

“No I’m not.” I answered.
“Do you think I will believe you?” he answered curiously. “I know you very well.”

“Dad, I don’t know if I can make it. My professor told me that some of us are not going to pass his subject.”
“So what’s the point of being so negative?” he answered.

With his simple words I gained confidence and faith. I don’t know but whenever my father will speak, there’s always an encouragement- simple yet so powerful.

As I remember, I and my friend joined an essay writing contest. We joined that because we need to find ourselves and what we really want. I realized that since high school I never achieved anything. So, I was looking for my own way, but whenever I’m trying something strange, or when I go out there reaching for my dreams, I always fail. That’s why I was so depressed and disappointed about myself.

Actually, one of the reasons why I’m in CURSOR is because of my dad’s encouragement. When I heard that our College Publication is looking for new staffs, I tempted to join but I was so confused because I thought that I will fail again at the first place.

Before the staff examination for CURSOR, I got so confused if I will still continue or not. So, I asked my father:

“Dad, do you think I need to continue?”
“Whenever you started something, finish it, because leaving your works undone will give you so much depression!”
“But dad, I don’t want to fail again.”
“How did you know that you will fail again?”
“I just know! I always failed.”
“Just believe!” he told me while looking straightly to my eyes.

So I took the examination. I put every word he told me in my heart and my father is right, I JUST NEED TO BELIEVE. My father thought me one special thing: life is so simple, and we are the ones who are just making it complicated.

For all of my childhood aches and pains, he has been always there. Maybe he is not as powerful as the other heroes I’ve known since childhood but those heroes are nothing compared to the man who gave me such wisdom, love, care, affection and encouragement. This hero of mine will always be my hero and I hope that someday I could help him the way he did to us.

---Sheila Rose Valenzuela---

0 comments: