Life of a Freshman


“I am now a college student!”
That was the first thing I’ve said when I passed the college entrance examination in Bulacan State University. Actually, when I first entered this university, I was so astounded. Unlike my former school, the buildings were bigger and the students’ population is much larger. Aside from that, I was also shocked and confused because I have proven that being a high school student is totally different and far from being a college student. The teachers are more professional and strict too. You definitely have to exert extra effort in order to survive. From an easy-go-lucky student to an assiduous and independent one.. From a 5-page long homework to 20-page long assignments, reaction paper and research works! From sleeping more than 8 hours per day to a long and stressful sleepless nights! That was not easy! Adjusting gave me a headache! But as time goes by, I’ve learned to adjust. I became responsible in some ways. And now I’m on my third year in this university. I’ve already adapted the environment of BulSU. So now, I’m wondering if the freshmen are experiencing it too. Maybe? Or maybe not? So to find out, let the freshmen speak for themselves!

(I conducted a survey to some CICT freshmen students through text messaging...Let us hear their responses!)

1.) How will you describe your life being a first year college student?

“Mahirap peu msaya.. mhrap kc.. mhrap mgaral e.. msaya nman kc mdmi k mkkilla at mgging frnds.. npka adventurous ng lyf at full of fun, exctment & thrills.. nppawi dn un pgud at hrap dhl dun!”
-Rochelle/BSIT 1F g.2

“ bilang first year nakakapanibago patakaran ng BSU.”
-Chris Angelo/BSIT 1C

“hmm. Masya mejo mhrap.” -Maria Beatrice Bautista/ BSIT1F g.2 "masaya, kaconfuse at excited dahil sa mga new friend and minsan kalungkot kasi miss ko iyong high school life ko." -Anghelito/ BIT1H g.2"masaya na boring minsan, boring kasi most of the time nakatanga lang kami, dahil sa tagal ng break time, masaya kasi exciting yung mga activities." -Jennica Rose/ BIT1H g.1"mahirap pero masaya."
-Gilbert Alexander B. Tan/ BIT1H g.12.) What are the adjustments you’ve been doing?

“ mdme lyk, dpt bgo ung lesson nkapgresearch nah, isa pah dpt lgue kang handa sah mga quiz.”
-Aleli M. Teodoro/BSIT 1F g.2

“gumcng ng 3am.. huhu.. mgimbak ng pera.. mgreview kht dna kaya ng powers..=P”
-Rochelle/ BSIT 1F g.2

“wala naman.. basta yung mga kailangang dapat gawin.. ginagawa ko na lang para di ako masyadong mahirapan at malate sa studies.. naku ewan!=)”
-Monica/BSIT 1C g.1

"ahm adjustments? xempre ano, study hard ngaun and dpat maging matured and responsible."  -Maria Isabel V. Domanillo/ BIT 1F g.2

"nakikihalubilo me sa ibang tao, lalong lumakas ang paninindigan ko at natutong tumayo sa sariling paa o sikap.

-Anghelito/ BIT 1H g.2

"makahanap ng bagong kaibigan. At kung pano makihalubilo sa hindi mo pa kilalang tao."

-Lorenz/ BIT 1H g.2

First time is definitely exciting. Full of twist and turns, new lessons and new experiences. It is always special though it is really not that easy to start everything from scratch.

Dearest freshmen, I know you can all do it! Be self-motivated, set your goals and know your potentials. Prepare for 99.9% patience. And don’t forget to give your best shot at all times! Remember: Quitters never win! Don’t let “pressure” be the reason to give up your dreams. 
Aim high!


--Sheila Rose S. Valenzuela--

0 comments: