I’m not just a Pen (The Writer of Alamat ng Tamad)


Is there any difference between a pen and an ink? How about between a parchment and a book?

I am a product of public schools, and still enroll in a public school [though what I really aim is to enter a private educational institution when I reach college]. That made me well sentient of how much sacrifices you need to pay to be able to reach your goal. I’ll tell you “Education does not come in a cheap package” -that is one of the most important lessons I’ve learned in life. Why did I dare to write “Alamat ng Tamad”? Honestly, when I was about to write an article that time, there was no single word that tried to slash my senses and it was so hard to chased ideas. I was left alone and---blank! Then I decided to walk and walk... until I reached the old bridge that is made of wood which I described as “makitid at marupok na tulay na siyang piping saksi sa labing-apat na taon ng aking pag-aaral”. If only that bridge can talk, I bet it will tell us millions of stories: of different people, of different lives, of different dreams.

And since that bridge cannot tell you those stories, I dare to share some to you. Just like how people keep on talking to communicate, how people keep on walking to arrive at their own destination, writers also keep on writing to express and inform. That somehow justifies the article I made. We are human but with different thoughts, equip with our own principles and purpose. I am not writing just to be famous nor to obliterate anyone and anything. I would like to emphasize that I have so much reverence on teachers. Teachers are persons that have a great impact in my being. I’ve learned countless lessons from them, even in the most painful way. But only good mentors imprint better influences.

Before, I am just a typical student like you—observing and listening. But I never have the guts to show my concern, because I thought, no one would listen. Just like a thin-skinned clam inside its hard covering, I’m afraid to step outside.

Then comes CURSOR, at first I was hesitant to join the team. Did I fit to be in? Am I ready to show concerns? Am I brave enough? Did we share common visions? And now, after almost a year, I can confidently say that in CURSOR, I found my second home! I am one of the voices heard.

Writers most often than not thread their pieces out of someone else’s chronicle: they are not only thinking about their own sake. Take note of this: A writer is a good listener. Now, if all of us would take time to pay attention, that is the time I can say, we are capable of hearing. If you hear something, you will understand and if you are able to understand, soon you would accept, and then if you are able to accept, soon you will learn. If learning comes naturally within you, I believe you will stop complaining and arguing. If you would take a brand new step out of your mistakes and embark on a new “you” I’ll tell you, you have the power to change what you wanted to change, because a new “you” could affect “us” in greater ways.

I am not just a pen! I don’t like to be just a pen that contains. I crave for becoming an ink! An ink that overflows…an ink that shows color-real colors. Same as, I don’t like to be just a piece of parchment. I crave to be the book that holds information…a book that tells my story, your story and our story… Believe me; what I am writing is not about what I scrutinize alone. I am an ear hearing thousands of voices. And these voices drive me to write. Your voice is the catalyst of CURSOR to keep moving. My story is your own, and let me assure you--- we are just around the corner, listening and trying to build changes.

CURSOR is not a cluster of nonsense pen. Our writings as I view it are reminiscent of a lesson in Philosophy “Sex and Imagination”. According to a philosopher, when you hear the word “sex”, your response would only be categorized into two: 1) ANXIETY and 2) HUMOR. Readers can laugh or even condemn our thoughts [falls into HUMOR]. But those who could read between the lines would react and grasp the reality that there are things far greater than the string of words, and these are the rallies of voices waiting to be heard [ANXIETY].

So what are you waiting for? CURSOR is waiting for your ink…

0 comments: